RE: Recent Spam

2000-01-05 06:13:41

I guess I just want to know how to get of the mail list. I get 4 of these a
day. I don't normally get spam, and in case some of you folks don't realize
it, these emails contain macros and .dll files that try to execute on your
system.

These are almost virus like in their behavior....and I want nothing to do
with it.

So, if anyone knows how to unsubscribe, a repost of those instructions to
the group would be nice.
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
[mailto:owner-ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org]On
Behalf Of Werner Koch
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 3:35 AM
To: ietf-open-pgp(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Recent Spam

 On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 08:24:43PM -0800
 Tom Rushworth wrote:

(1) blocking certain addresses
(2) restricting posters to subscriber addresses (or some such)
(3) changing the list name to temporarily dodge the spam.

(4) Do only allow RFC822 compliant messages.

I have noticed that most of these junk mails (frankly I don't know
whether it is really junk as I am not able to read chinese(?)) are not
RC822 compliant.  In most cases the mail headers do contain characters
with bit 7 set - which is never allowed in the headers.

So a simple filter which looks for more than 2 or 3 bad characters in
the header lines (From, To, Subject) should be able to kick out 90%
percent of those mails.  The problem does not exist for this ML only:
Nearly all the junk mail I receive is of that kind.

It should be possible to hack procmail or Majordomo to do just this;
an option for sendmail,exim,qmail,postfix would even be better.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013

     Boycott Amazon!  -  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html