Re: Recent Spam

2000-01-05 08:52:14
"Werner" == Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> writes:

 Werner> On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 08:24:43PM -0800 Tom Rushworth wrote:

(1) blocking certain addresses (2) restricting posters to
subscriber addresses (or some such) (3) changing the list name to
temporarily dodge the spam.

 Werner> (4) Do only allow RFC822 compliant messages.

 Werner> I have noticed that most of these junk mails (frankly I don't
 Werner> know whether it is really junk as I am not able to read
 Werner> chinese(?)) are not RC822 compliant.  In most cases the mail
 Werner> headers do contain characters with bit 7 set - which is never
 Werner> allowed in the headers.

It isn't?  Weird.  That seems like a spec bug that's bound to get
fixed at some point, because of course it's an english-only
restriction that we aren't supposed to have anymore.  And perhaps my
memory is flaky, but I would have sworn that I've seen legit mail from
Europe with Latin-1 characters in the headers.

        paul