Re: Behavior of implementations regarding certain key material

2000-05-30 09:10:29
"Florian" == Florian Weimer
<Florian(_dot_)Weimer(_at_)RUS(_dot_)Uni-Stuttgart(_dot_)DE> writes:

 Florian> Jon Callas <jon(_at_)callas(_dot_)org> writes:
At 10:46 AM +0200 5/26/00, Florian Weimer wrote: >From
draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis-00, 5.2.3.23, "Reason for
Revocation": > >| A revoked certification no longer is a part of
validity >| calculations.  > >We were a bit surprised when we
discovered this change to RFC 2440 >because RFC 2440 primarily
specifies the OpenPGP message format, >and not the behavior of
implementations when they encounter certain >OpenPGP messages,
much to our discomfort.  >

Umm, so what is the problem? Is there a reason that a revoked
certification *should* be part of validity calculations?

 Florian> No, of course not.  Our point is: There is no reason why an
 Florian> expired certification should be part of validity
 Florian> calculations, either (at least by default).  Ditto for
 Florian> expired keys.  But 2440bis does not state what to do in
 Florian> these cases, and in fact, implementations already show
 Florian> different behavior.

It seems to me the logical thing to do is very easy to describe:
expired or revoked certs are treated as if they were nonexistent.

        paul