Re: Behavior of implementations regarding certain key material

2000-05-30 11:29:30
"L" == L Sassaman <rabbi(_at_)quickie(_dot_)net> writes:

 L> On Tue, 30 May 2000, Paul Koning wrote:

"Lutz" == Lutz Donnerhacke <lutz(_at_)iks-jena(_dot_)de> writes:

 Lutz> * Paul Koning wrote:
It seems to me the logical thing to do is very easy to
describe: >> expired or revoked certs are treated as if they were
nonexistent.

 Lutz> But certificates of expired keys are still valid.
 For verifying old stuff, yes.  Not for new stuff.  So my simple
description was too simplistic.  I would apply it to things
expired or revoked as of the creation date of whatever I want to
verify.

 L> Eh? If you sign my key, and then your *key* expires, your
 L> signature is still included in validity calculations for my
 L> key. Even after your key expires. (However, you had to sign my key
 L> prior to the expiration of yours).

Agreed; that's what I meant.  (Checking the signature requires a key
that was good at the time that signature was created.  It's the
signature that is being verified, and the date of that signature is
what matters.)

     paul