Re: [urgent] PGP/MIME IANA considerations: file extensions, Macintosh file type codes.

2001-07-17 12:21:58

Excerpt from the current OpenPGP/MIME draft:

| 9.2.  Registration of the application/pgp-signature media type

|    Encoding considerations:
|
|       The content of this media type always consists of 7bit text.

|    Additional information:
|
|       Magic number(s): none
|       File extension(s): asc
|       Macintosh File Type Code(s): pgDS

| 9.3.  Registration of the application/pgp-keys media type

|    Encoding considerations:
|
|       The content of this media type always consists of 7bit text.

|    Additional information:
|
|       Magic number(s): none
|       File extension(s): asc
|       Macintosh File Type Code(s): pgPR

Doesn't Macintosh PGP (and perhaps other programs as well) store
binary data in pgDS/pgPR files as well?  That's why I don't think the
MIME types and Macintosh file types are equivalent.

--
Florian Weimer
Florian(_dot_)Weimer(_at_)RUS(_dot_)Uni-Stuttgart(_dot_)DE