Re: [urgent] PGP/MIME IANA considerations: file extensions, Macintosh file type codes.

2001-07-18 09:53:58

Thomas Roessler <roessler(_at_)does-not-exist(_dot_)org> writes:

So what change do you suggest?  Should I replace the extension in 9.2
by ".sig", or list ".asc" and ".sig"?  (I also note that PGP 2.6 and
PGP 5.0i generate ".asc" for ASCII-armored detached signatures on my
Linux machine; gnupg generates ".sig".)

And what file type and extension am I supposed to put in there for
ascii-armored public keys? ".asc" and "TEXT"?  ".pkr" and "pgPR"? None
of these seem to make terribly much sense to me.

Or should I just drop extensions and Mac file types?

I would do so for the detached signature.  I don't think there is
enough time to check all the interoperability issues.

For the public key ring file, I would rather drop the requirement that
the content is 7bit ASCII-armored and mention that the extensions
.pkr, .pgp, .pkr and .asc are common.

--
Florian Weimer
Florian(_dot_)Weimer(_at_)RUS(_dot_)Uni-Stuttgart(_dot_)DE