Re: Reasons to include ECC to our charter

2001-08-09 08:25:06

Ben Laurie <ben(_at_)algroup(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:

You can't add it to the _standard_ because of restrictive licensing. I
guess Informational RFCs are possible, but they don't make me happy -
essentially the WG is doing free work, both technical and marketing, for
the owner(s) of the patents.

IIRC, not all ECC stuff is patented, only curves over GF(q), q even,
which can be implemented efficiently using two-valued logic.

--
Florian Weimer Florian(_dot_)Weimer(_at_)RUS(_dot_)Uni-Stuttgart(_dot_)DE
University of