Re: About User-ID's

2001-08-18 17:08:34

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Jon Callas wrote:

I don't know about irrelevant -- but I don't know what do do about them. If
user ids didn't have email addresses on them (which they don't have to), it
would be hard to find the right key when you want to encrypt mail to
someone.

People have talked about the possibility of spammers harvesting names from
the keyservers for quite some time now. Out of curiousity, last May I
created a key with a unique email address and submitted the keyserver
network as bait. It's been over a year now, and I have yet to receive a
piece of spam to that address.

So, not to say that this won't happen, but I haven't seen any evidence
that is does currently.

Len

--

Len Sassaman

Security Architect            |
Technology Consultant         |  "Let be be finale of seem."

http://sion.quickie.net       |           --Wallace Stevens