Re: Reasons to include ECC to our charter

2001-09-04 08:57:28

At 1:11 PM +0100 9/3/01, Ben Laurie wrote:
It seems to me entirely unacceptable that we should even be discussing
I-Ds which relate to patents of unknown content. Certicom should either
reveal what they do or do not have pending, or go away.

Clearly there is significant interest in ECC in this WG. Unfortunately, Ben is right, IPR issues are always troubling - there can be no mandatory requirements that have IPR restrictions. Still, I have no desire to see this group ignore useful techniques, if it improves the utility of OpenPGP. I'll contact some people at Certicom to see whether this can be definitively settled. If there is no resolution soon, we'll have to drop discussion of it w/r/t to DRAFT status.

I may ultimately need some help from the IESG on this.  I'll keep you posted.
--

john noerenberg
jwn2(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com