Re: Reasons to include ECC to our charter

2001-09-04 15:43:24

Jon Callas wrote:

At 10:49 PM +0100 9/4/01, Ben Laurie wrote:

That's precisely the issue - how do we make sure it doesn't assume a
patented technology if we don't know what the patents are?

Why should this WG spend its time on stuff that may end up patented? By
all means, once its clear what we can and can't use, then let's proceed.
Until then, what's the point?

If someone comes up with a layout that supports ECC generically, I'd say go
with it.

I have no idea how to do that, myself. But if someone else does the work
and convinces us that it's generic, I say go for it. That's also why I said
to do an informational RFC, make a sample implementation, let someone hack
up GPG to work with it, and we'll see.

What will we see? Clearly its possible to do - so what's interesting
about doing it before we can be sure we can use it?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html