Re: Fixing the secret keys, and a small apology

2001-09-05 08:20:37

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:28:50 -0700, Jon Callas said:

* Change the String-to-Key specifier. The solution here is adding in the
tag 254 to 3.7.2.1 and have 254 denote an improved S2K. The benefit here is

This is fine with me.

Another question is the format.  Should we include only the public
parameters or more stuff in the MDC?  A solution I would like to see
is to just hash the fingerprint of the key along with the secret
parameters.  I predict that in future, implementations will use the
fingerprint to identify a key (and not just the keyID) and therefore
it is steadily available.

Implementations wouldn't have to worry about the public key parameters
when unprotecting the secret parameters of a secret key.  One might
think of putting the secet parameters on a hardware token and there
might be not enough space to store the public parameters - the
fingerprint and the secret parameters should be enough to put on a
(memory only) token.

there, then they can't use algorithm 254. However, not only is using a
cipher algorithm deprecated, but our present max cipher number is 10. I

Given that we assigned 100-110 for experimental algorithms it is
unlikely that higher algorithms identifiers are ever used.

   Werner