Re: Dash-escaping clarification

2003-03-07 18:53:07

See Michael Young's example: doing so breaks existing otherwise
compliant implementations.

'From ' is pretty much the only thing interesting to protect in an
email message, as it is a separator between email messages.

The '-' escape was just a way to protect nested signatures etc to
avoid confusing the parser of the outer signatures.

The rule's been that way since at least 1992, and I haven't seen any
new chars needing quoting.  So it's survived the test of time.

Adam