Re: Dash-escaping clarification

2003-03-07 19:00:33

On Friday, Mar 7, 2003, at 17:16 US/Eastern, Adam Back wrote:

Hmm I don't think it would be a good idea to allow dash-escaping of
literally anything because then you can't reverse the transformation
and '- ' is commonly used for bullet points where as the other cases
----- separated nested PGP signatures and other content types are not
common, and 'From ' is a prexisting common exception.

Isn't it rather just:

- dash escape nested -----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE----- (et al)
- dash escape From

I think the idea has always been to escape all dashes so that the receiver can indiscriminately remove the <dash><space> prefix from every line in a received message. It is precisely this approach which makes it possible to allow arbitrary sentences to be dash-escaped *without* the transformation being irreversible.

Cheers,
-J