Re: Further deprecating PGP2

2003-03-09 00:11:01

On Sunday, Mar 9, 2003, at 01:27 US/Eastern, Peter Gutmann wrote:

Jeroen van Gelderen <jeroen(_at_)vangelderen(_dot_)org> writes:

How can my copy of OpenPGP support an IDEA-encrypted message if I am not
allowed to use IDEA to decrypt it?

How many people are really going to be affected by this?

Any implementor of an OpenPGP-compliant application. As long as I 'SHOULD' handle IDEA-encrypted mail people will consider my application to be incomplete if it doesn't.

Anybody who uses -say- the Cryptix OpenPGP library in a commercial setting will have to get themselves a license or disable the IDEA functionality.

For what? For people who insist on using outdated and deprecated software? Why would they expect a modern standard to cater for them?

Why not get rid of IDEA? People MAY implement IDEA/PGP2-support in their otherwise OpenPGP-compliant applications. Such an extra feature will not render the application non-compliant. But rip the 'SHOULD' out of the standard. Make sure that people who send PGP2 messages do realize that they are not sending OpenPGP messages and that they cannot expect OpenPGP compliant apps to deal with them. In particular, let's make very clear that they cannot expect a PGP2 response back.

  As I said in my

Then they don't care about their use of IDEA being OpenPGP-endorsed or not. I do care about the fact that I am not legally allowed to decrypt their messages when I receive them. And you are giving them the ammunition to say "Hey, my message is OpenPGP compliant!".

The issue is not them. The issue is that everybody else 'SHOULD' handle their outdated messages. I don't care what you use or do, I care about what I am supposed to do according to the standard. And according to the standard I 'SHOULD' support a long-deprecated type of message and thus I 'SHOULD' pay royalties.

I want *every* OpenPGP implementation to be able to handle OpenPGP messages without paying royalties to anyone. And thus do I want IDEA-encrypted messages to not carry the OpenPGP seal of approval. There is no need for that.

Commercial users will (presumably) be using a licensed version, in which case it doesn't matter either. You need to distinguish between "We can't use IDEA
for commercial/licensing reasons" and "We refuse to consider IDEA for
ideological reasons".

That is easy for you to say. You can create an IDEA-message for free because you don't work in a commercial setting. I can't legally decrypt your IDEA/OpenPGP message because I don't have an IDEA license. What kind of interoperability is that?

The point is that using the full standard including 'SHOULD's in a commercial setting requires money. That has nothing to do with ideology. Zip. Zilch. Principle, yes. But not ideology. Internet standards are kept patent free for practical reasons, not ideological reasons.

Wasn't it you who called for a patent-free OCB? Why was that again?

Cheers,
-J