Re: Suggested DER Prefixes

2003-05-29 10:05:07

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 12:55 US/Eastern, Derek Atkins wrote:

"Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen(_at_)vangelderen(_dot_)org> writes:

           In fact, there are those who feel safer with AES
at 128 than at
256.

Any particular reason(s)? Is there any merit to these reason(s)?

The difficulty in obtaining 256 bits of key entropy?

Hmm... if I read you correctly that would imply that AES-256 with a
key containing 128 bits of entropy is less secure than AES-128 with a
key containing 128 bits of entropy. Do you know of a document where
this would be explained?

I certainly did not say "less secure", did I?  It's certainly
much SLOWER, and certainly is not MORE secure...

The original statement was:

  "In fact, there are those who feel safer with AES at 128 than at 256."

According to my English interpreter this implied "...more secure with AES 128...". Still does. You answered with what appeared to be a rationale for precisely this statement.

Cheers,
-J
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen - jeroen(_at_)vangelderen(_dot_)org

When Germany invaded Czechoslovakia and Poland, its declared justification was to free the Germans living in those countries from the tyranny of the
Czech and Polish governments. When Germany invaded the Soviet Union in
1941, one of its declared purposes was to "liberate" the Russian people
from communist tyranny.