Re: AES-256 vs AES-128 (Re: Suggested DER Prefixes)

2003-05-30 12:57:22

I beg to differ, but extra rounds do not necessarily improve
the security.  You still have a 2^128 brute-force attack
against the cipher if you use a 128-bit key.  It doesn't matter
what happens to the other bits.

Regardless, I believe that AES-128 has had significantly more
peer review than the larger elements, and "bigger is not necessarily
better".  As a security engineer you need to use prudence in
choosing which tools to use in which situation.   Based on the
state-of-the-art in 2003, and forseeable for the next few years,
I believe that AES-128 is sufficient for our needs.

Adding additional ciphers will just decrease interoperability, which
will reduce security because people wont use it.  "The perfect is
the enemy of the good".  Let's get it out there, get it deployed,
make it ubiquitous.  Until that happens, I don't feel we should
be entertaining additional ciphers.

-derek