Re: Status of RFC2440

2004-10-21 08:28:03

Ian Grigg <iang(_at_)systemics(_dot_)com> writes:

Jon Callas wrote:

I've been asked to speak at an Identity
conference and while I was musing on the
unsuitability of x.509/PKI for identity,
it occurred to me that one of the barriers
is that OpenPGP is not a standard, whereas
x.509 is.

Huh? OpenPGP isn't a standard? How?

Specifically (bearing in mind the emphasis
outlined below on mindspace) we lack the completed
RFC.  That will be a big help.

Uhh, define "completed RFC".  RFC2440 is completed, has been for
several years.  It's also an RFC.  It will always be an RFC.  RFC2440
will never change!

<chair-hat>
There's the ongoing rfc2440bis work, which will hopefully complete
soon and get turned into a new RFC with a new RFC number and will
obsolete RFCs 1991 and 2440.  But that does not obviate the fact that
RFC 2440 is a published Proposed Standard on OpenPGP.
</chair-hat>

So, your statement that "OpenPGP is not a standard" is clearly
incorrect.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com