Re: Adding GOST as a cipher?

2005-01-21 13:07:07

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 10:32:11AM -0800, "Hal Finney" wrote:

For those who want to use it, would an acceptable alternative be a
short informational RFC which specified an algorithm ID from the
private/experimental range?

That feels a bit like cheating to me.  As soon as there is an RFC
(informational or otherwise), an algorithm should not be in the
experimental range.  Otherwise, we'd be effectively moving that
experimental algorithm number into the operational range.  We couldn't
use it for experimental purposes any longer.

(Not arguing for or against GOST.  Just for algorithm numbering
cleanliness.)

David