Re: Short intro on the K-R attack [Re: private key language]

2005-12-28 16:52:07

On 28 Dec 2005, at 3:23 PM, Daniel A. Nagy wrote:

Hi,

I think, I should explain the Klima-Rosa attack, because the original paper
is a bit difficult to understand.

It is slightly different for RSA and DSA keys, but the main idea is the same. In both cases, the private material is an exponent and the public material has the modulus of an exponentiation, the result of which is part of the signature. The base of the exponentiation is different for RSA and
DSA (and ElGamal), but it is known in all cases.

Let's stick to the ElGamal example, for the sake of clarity (and because it isn't covered elsewhere). The signature contains g^k mod p (k is a random number), so if the attacker corrupts p and g such that discrete logarithms mod p are easy to solve, he can work back k and from there, the secret x. The point is that the secret material is revealed by using it in a modified
context.

Now, this attack can be thwarted by a lot of sanity checks on the private key (e.g. checking that the private part indeed corresponds to the public part), before outputting the signature, as is done by GPG, but it might be expensive for less powerful computers/smartcards. If the public- private binding were provided by the hash-based MDC, it would be a lot cheaper.

Stuff to read:
http://eprint.iacr.org/2002/076 (original paper)
http://www.orlingrabbe.com/DSAflaw_OpenPGP.htm (explaination and exploit code)

Okay, so there isn't anything new here. We fixed this years ago.

        Jon