Re: V3 secret keys

2006-02-02 11:00:12

Daniel A. Nagy wrote:
On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 01:48:38PM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
in 5.5.3 it says:

"Furthermore, the CFB state is resynchronized at the beginning of each
new MPI value,  so that the CFB block boundary is aligned with the start
of the MPI data."

I can't find anywhere a precise (or even an imprecise) definition of
"resynchronized". What exactly does it mean?

Does it mean that the IV is reset to whatever it was at the start of the
current block? Does it mean that we use the partially-updated IV, but
set the position back to the beginning? Does it mean we reset the IV to
the initial value and start again? Or what?

Cheers,

Ben.

It means the usual CFB synchronization with outputting a partial block and
shifting the IV.

If that means anything at all, you appear to be describing standard CFB
when applied to a partial block, which I assume the above is not.