Re: ArcFour for OpenPGP [Re: Camellia for OpenPGP]

2007-04-23 03:09:52
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 06:01:56PM +0900, Hironobu SUZUKI wrote:

Hi, RC4 is well-known as an insecure cipher algorithm today.

It has known weaknesses, but I would not call it insecure. It must be used
with care, but it can still be relied upon if attention is paid to details.

I hope
that you read some papers about RC4 that are linked this web site.

   http://www.wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/~itsik/RC4/rc4.html

Yes, of course.

Especially, I recommend you read this paper.

  Weaknesses in the Key Scheduling Algorithm of RC4, Fluhrer, Mantin
  and Shamir, SAC 2001

That's right, hence the hashing and discarding the first 256 bytes from the
keystream, as described in my previous post.

Regards,

--
Daniel