Re: [Chris Newman] COMMENT: draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc2440bis

2007-05-04 18:01:30

On May 4, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Sam Hartman wrote:

Here are some other answers:

Also be aware that a large number of the normative references probably
count as downrefs.  If there are any downref sticklers left on the
IESG,
it may save time to IETF last call the downrefs in advance if that
wasn't
already done.

I ran the last couple revisions through idnits and eliminated all
downrefs. If there are new ones, we can fix them, but three weeks
ago, there were none.

Section 6 mentions the constant '0x864CFB' while the sample code
uses the
constant '0x1864cfb'; which one is correct?

Section 6. I've corrected it now.

Other nits:
Section 3.7.1.3
Could use int32_t (ISO C 99 standard) rather than nonstandard Int32.

Yes, but the sentence following says:

    The above formula is in C, where "Int32" is a type for a 32-bit
    integer, and the variable "c" is the coded count, Octet 10.

Section 4.2.3
I was confused about packet length vs. body length especially after
reading the last paragraph.  Perhaps make sure you've used the terms
consistently.

Okay.

Section 7.1
What happens if the "- " prefix causes the line to exceed SMTP line
length limits (998 characters)?

As we said in the previous discussion of clearsigned signatures,
using them in email isn't the only use of OpenPGP, and may not even
be the most common one.

If someone generates an OpenPGP clearsigned object that exceeds the
SMTP line limit length (which is 1000 characters, not 998), then the
SMTP server might generate an error. It would behoove an
implementation that uses both OpenPGP and SMTP to follow both standards.

        Jon