Re: More on the closing of the OpenPGP WG

2008-03-11 07:30:37

Ian G <iang(_at_)systemics(_dot_)com> writes:

Derek Atkins wrote:
Hi,

I sat down with Sam, Tim, and Pasi yesterday to talk about this.
Basically, it's still possible to have a "standards track" document
without a working group.  They still need to go through an IETF
Last Call but the AD can sponsor the draft (instead of having a
WG Group).  So long as the drafts are not very contentious (which
MOST of our proposed work is), we can just continue to drafts
as individual submissions and an AD (Tim?) could sponsor that
once we have rough consensus on this list.

That sounds fine to me.  Is the only reason for a WG that we have to
have an open forum if there is contention?

I don't think that's the only reason..  It's mainly provides a means
to gauge consensus before it gets to the whole IETF, and provides a
means to streamline the process so it's not all on the AD's shoulders.

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com