Re: Please adopt http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-groth-openpgp-attribute-extension-00.txt

2008-08-16 03:39:42

Duane at e164 dot org <duane(_at_)e164(_dot_)org> writes:

Is there a use case in OpenPGP for any other alt name than dnsName?

That's the whole point of this draft, people (including myself) want
more than just a hostname(s), otherwise we could have just re-used the
user-id field for the dns name(s).

Ok.  I suggest to explain (in the document) these use cases and to
broaden the abstract -- right now the abstract strongly implies to me
that you only intend the use-case to be OpenPGP in TLS:

Abstract

   A RFC was accepted extending TLS usage to include OpenPGP keys (RFC
   5081) as an alternative or in addition to X.509 certificates,
   however the author did not really standardise the way the
   information in OpenPGP keys was to be presented and this could be
   detrimental or fragment efforts to utilise OpenPGP keys in this
   manner.

Other than that, I don't have any comments.  I believe that an OpenPGP
extension mechanism that carry DNS hostnames are needed, so I'd like
your solution (or something like it) move forward.

Thanks,
/Simon