Re: Ideas on new user attribute types and image formats

2009-01-30 10:43:26
On 01/29/2009 01:23 PM, Peter Thomas wrote:
1) PNG (ISO 15948, RFC 2083)

I fully agree that we should be supporting PNG here.  That's long
overdue, and you don't have to do lossless compression in png, iiuc.

2) JPEG 2000 (ISO/IEC 15444)

Given how ill-specified and implemented this is, i suggest waiting on
this until it is more mature.

3) SVG

SVG can potentially contain way more than images; it can contain
javascript, for example, and other semi-executable nastiness.  As much
as i love svg, I think it might be a can of worms best left unopened
until we're prepared to seriously think through the potential security
consequences.

Second, ideas for user attributes:
This is more a: "Has anybody ideas how usage of user attributes could
be extended?" than a "I have this and that proposal.", so I'd really
love to see your ideas.

Duane Groth has proposed making a new User Attribute type that just maps
to the possible values of the X.509 subjectAltName specification:

http://open-pgp.info/wiki/index.php?title=Standardisation_of_OpenPGP_Keys_for_Server_Purposes#New_User_Attribute_Type_--_subjectAltNames

What's nice about this proposal is that it doesn't require the creation
of a new registry, implementors can potentially piggyback on existing
ASN.1 parsers (they wouldn't need to write their own), and the
specification can cover a range of ideas automatically.

        --dkg