Re: Ideas on new user attribute types and image formats

2009-01-30 12:51:27
On 01/30/2009 11:23 AM, David Shaw wrote:
We need (in the abstract) a way to store a picture in an OpenPGP user
ID, and we have that now.  What does adding a second way to store that
picture buy us that we don't have already?

hpng supports features that jpeg doesn't, including at least:

 * indexed colormaps
 * alpha-channel transparency

Both of these are useful features in some not uncommon circumstances
(e.g. logos and "hackergotchi"/floating-head images that discard
background/non-identity information).

I'm not suggesting that OpenPGP is worthless without PNG, of course.
But it would be useful to support it.

        --dkg