Re: [openpgp] "OpenPGP Simple"

2015-03-16 16:31:13
On Mar 16, 2015, at 5:15 PM, David Leon Gil <coruus(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Re Jon's comment above: The five-octet, new-format thing is what the
End-to-End extension does.

On Monday, March 16, 2015, Werner Koch <wk(_at_)gnupg(_dot_)org> wrote:
On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 19:12, singpolyma(_at_)singpolyma(_dot_)net said:

Yes.  Last time I checked, gnupg < 2 (which is still the default on
most of my systems) only generates old-style headers, whereas my

That depends on how you invoke gpg and whether the new packer headers
are required.  That is required for PGP-2 compatibility.

Is there an option to completely disable this?

Not in the current code, but you can of course patch it.

Relatedly, is there any option to not use new-format partial lengths?

A partial length is needed to handle content as a stream - say some program
that generates gigabytes of data (like a backup).  Something large enough that
you really don't want to have to buffer the whole thing before encrypting it.

Partial lengths are really a nuisance to parse.

No argument there...

David