Re: [openpgp] Manifesto - who is the new OpenPGP for?

2015-03-25 18:34:10
On 25/03/2015 08:25 am, Werner Koch wrote:
Hi!

FWIW: When I kicked of this thread I was not thinking of a "new OpenPGP"
but of long planned extensions and updates to an existing protocol.

Good point.

Throwing everything over board and start from scratch should not be done
under the label of OpenPGP; there are already a couple of other projects
working on re-doing everything from scratch.

What do people think? I certainly wouldn't stand in the way of a group that wanted to do that.

But OpenPGP is more than an RFC - it's a shared vision, community, and a history.

We've learnt a lot since 1992. If, in the act of tapping that learning, we tell the experience to go away and think up another name, I fear that's not productive, not efficient.

iang