Re: [openpgp] details of 4880bis work

2015-04-12 22:38:59
On Sun, 12 Apr 2015, Tom Ritter wrote:

On 10 April 2015 at 06:38, Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

n) Deprecate (remove?) older packet types and versions that should not
be used anymore. I think I would want to completely remove most of the
language here, but OpenPGP is a different beast from TLS, so some of
it should stay because while we may specify someone SHOULD NOT or MUST
NOT use it, it will be important for actually inter-operating with
vastly deployed install bases. But it seems like we could at least
enumerate all of the SHOULD NOT/MUST NOTs and evaluate them on a
case-by-case for removal.

What we're considering (if we go ahead with the deprecation) over in
kitten is to move the deprecated content to an appendix with a note that
it should only be provided for compatibility with older versions, if at
all.

-Ben