Re: [openpgp] SHA3 algorithm ids.

2015-08-09 22:03:02
On 8/08/2015 23:48 pm, ianG wrote:

http://www.metzdowd.com/pipermail/cryptography/2015-August/026238.html

From: Krisztián Pintér <pinterkr(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

so to save the day, they added the SHAKE instances as a workaround.
they are pretty much what SHA3 should have been. if you don't
understand how a sponge works, you are very much free to use the SHA3
instances. but if you want to do actual cryptography, you should
choose the SHAKE's.

Which I think can be interpreted as suggestion to use SHAKE256, instead of the SHA3-xxx.

A potential advantage of that is that the algorithm expands, so we don't need to specify truncation any more.

Just call it with a range of set params for 'd':

keyId:         32
fingerprint:   100, 150
hash:          256.

(by way of example) Is there any known advantage of the smaller lengths being subsets of the larger?

iang