Re: [openpgp] Fingerprint requirements for OpenPGP

2016-04-13 12:08:04
  usually considered “broken” by cryptographers

This is not the general case cryptographers talk about, but a specific
use case with a very specific set of requirements.

  so it seems OK to be somewhat cautious here and require collisions
  to be hard.

If we could get it for free, maybe. But collision resistance is a factor
two in bitsize, which is not only not free, but pretty darn costly.

Just to get a feeling for the numbers, let's do some good old
pessimistic math:

We take a 128 bit fingerprint. We say the attacker wants to attack a
pool of 65000 keys, so 2^16. That leaves 112 bits of fingerprint to
attack. We also assume that an attacker can test as fast as they can
generate sha-256 hashes, and give no penalties for key generation,
multi-target attack, collisions or stuff like that.

Top of the line hashing ASICs are at about 5 terahashes per second. But
let's just say our attacker has 10 terahashes/s (2^43) per device for
ease of math. Then let's say our attacker has one *billion* of those
devices (2^30), which is a ridunculous number to have.

In this scenario, our attacker needs 2^(128-16-43-30) = 2^39 seconds to
find a single preimage, which is 17432 years.

From a different angle, for one Joule of energy (= 1 watt-second) you
can very optimistically get about 5T (2^42) sha256 hashes for one Joule
of energy. For 2^112 hashes, that's 2^(112-42) = 2^70 Joule of energy,
or 2^19 terawatt-hours of energy. For comparison, the total world energy
consumption is around 2^17TWh per year, so that's something like four
years of energy (not even only power) used by people in the world.

 - V