Re: [openpgp] Fingerprint requirements for OpenPGP

2016-04-12 12:03:01
On Tue 2016-04-12 12:52:49 -0400, "Salz, Rich" <rsalz(_at_)akamai(_dot_)com>
wrote:
One concern i have with existing keyserver infrastructure is that anyone can
upload a key with any e-mail address.  This could result in a lookup that
returns dozens or hundreds of keys.

It would be nice if PGP were so successful :)

I agree with you, but this concern isn't about success, it's about a
malicious flooding attack :/

The keyservers can address this by sending PGP-encrypted "please confirm"
email.

that doesn't work with the model of the keyserver network, where
untrusted peer keyservers gossip data between each other.  i'm pretty
sure we don't want a "please confirm" e-mail from each keyserver
operator, and i think most keyserver operators don't want the
responsibility of running such a vetting service.

If the answer is "throw away the keyserver network" then that's one
thing; but if we think there needs to be a public directory lookup, then
we need a clear explanation of how that works.  i understand from
Vincent's recent thread that people seem to be actively thinking about
alternatives, which is a Good Thing.  but even Vincent's thread doesn't
seem to cover revocation.

               --dkg