Re: [openpgp] Fingerprint requirements for OpenPGP

2016-04-13 11:00:35
On Wed, 13 Apr 2016 16:27, derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com said:

We already, to some degree, have that issue.  There's the keyID and
there's the fingerprint.  They are different (although with v4 one is
derived from the other).

In GnuPG 2.1 we removed support for v3 keys and thus we do not need to
care about the difference between keyid and fingerprints anymore.  This
takes away a lot of burden we had with them (in particular storing the
keyid for fast lookups).  Using a truncated fingerprint for the keyid, as
we have in v4, is easier.

I think we need to step back again and keep in mind that the (human)
authenticaton fingerprint may (should?) be different from the (internal
or external) database identifer string.

Okay.  But the new scheme should allow to derive the human
authentication fingerprint from the internal fingerprint w/o the need
for additional input.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner