Re: [openpgp] Pull request for AEAD encrypted data packet with GCM

2017-02-13 19:32:54

On Feb 13, 2017, at 5:24 PM, Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> wrote:

A recurring issue with OCB in other contexts has been that it
it not only Rogaway's IPR that is at issue. Despite (what I
think is) his very flexible and reasonable way of handling his
own IPR, and even his efforts to get others to play ball, there
are multiple other parties involved, not all of whom are IIUC
equally reasonable (according to my personal view of what's
reasonable).

I don't know that that situation has resolved itself favourably
in any case to date. I'd be happy if it had though, so please
do follow up this with good news, if such exists.

This issue was discussed on both the CFRG and TLS lists, maybe
a year or two ago, so interested folks would benefit from
checking those archives for OCB related threads.

Cheers,
S.

PS: Note that I'm not stating any opinion pro- or contra- GCM
nor any other AEAD construct here.

I have no disagreement with this. I am constantly pained that this is a mess,
because OCB *is* what we all really want to use.

        Jon