Re: [openpgp] Pull request for AEAD encrypted data packet with GCM

2017-02-14 02:52:34
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 02:32, joncallas(_at_)icloud(_dot_)com said:

I have no disagreement with this. I am constantly pained that this is a mess,
because OCB *is* what we all really want to use.

From our experience with adding the MDC feature to OpenPGP we known that
it will take several years until the majority of code has been upgraded
to make use of a new feature.  The mentioned non-Rogaway patents were
filed around 2001 and thus will expire 4 to 7 years.  Which would match
the time I expect to get OCB mode actually deployed (or any other new
mode).

Sure there are also follow up patents but given that they are owned by
IBM they may even be an advantage against patent trolls.  But this has
likely already been discussed in the context of TLS.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner