[openpgp] Questions around AEAD packets

2017-02-14 03:22:35
Hi,

putting the patent mess aside, there are also a few other question
involved in a new encryption mode:

 1. Exactly one mode defined by a new packet number
    or a new packet with a parameter to define the mode?

 2. Bind the mode to a certain cipher algorithm?  For example only allow
    a mode with AES.

 3. How can we do early detection of corruption?  When decrypting
    several gigs we should be able to detect corrupted data after having
    processed, say, one gig.  Shall such a feature be configurable?
    Shall we link it to partial length headers.

My ideas here are:

 re 1. A new packet with a parameter to define the actual mode.  Make
       one mode mandatory.  Additional parameters should have a length
       header so that parsers have an easier way to parse the header
       even if they don't implement that mode.

       The rational for this is to allow for some experimentation and
       separate the packet format from the finally chosen mandatory
       mode.

 re 2: Binding a mode to an algorithm makes testing easier.  This will
       also make implementing stream cipher modes easier because it
       allows to blur the distinction between cipher algorithm and mode.

 re 3: The simplest idea would be to use fixed chunks of the ciphertext
       and either link them together using a counter or the hash of the
       previous authentication tag.  The packet header would give the
       length of the chunks in blocks.  It needs to be decided whether a
       final one-block chunk is okay.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner