Re: [openpgp] Proposal to include AEAD OCB mode to 4880bis

2017-10-30 10:21:45
Rick van Rein <rick(_at_)openfortress(_dot_)nl> writes:

Along the same lines I'm also surprised that no effort has been made to
deprecate 2.x PGP packet formats and public key formats, for instance.
We all know that such old keys don't have a reason to exist anymore,
but we're all still coding the old and new in order to be compliant to
the standards.  Such a waste of time...

I have files encrypted 20+ years ago (to a 20+ year old key) sitting
around in storage.  Are you saying that those encrypted files should not
be readable anymore?

And note that if your response is "but just re-encrypt them", I'll add
that then I lose a lot of the original data, like original signing date
etc.  Moreover, AFAIK there is no tool that I can use to re-encrypt a
message while keeping signature data intact.  (Please correct me if I'm
missing something, but even gpg does not seem to have a "re-encrypt"
option).

-Rick

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
       derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com             www.ihtfp.com