Re: [openpgp] Proposal to include AEAD OCB mode to 4880bis

2017-10-30 10:36:20
Hi Derek,

Along the same lines I'm also surprised that no effort has been made to
deprecate 2.x PGP packet formats and public key formats, for instance.
We all know that such old keys don't have a reason to exist anymore,
but we're all still coding the old and new in order to be compliant to
the standards.  Such a waste of time...

I have files encrypted 20+ years ago (to a 20+ year old key) sitting
around in storage.  Are you saying that those encrypted files should not
be readable anymore?

I was thinking about signing, which was indeed an oversight.

One might question if current-day crypto software should continue to
support old encrypted files though, or that a fork would be wiser.  The
added complexity of the software is far from helpful in keeping software
clear and bug free.  Also, this old material may end up being treated by
hardly-tested code, which is another undesirable part.

Anyhow, I brought this up to agree that we should be careful what is
being added, and your response is in fact confirming that.

-Rick