Re: [openpgp] Proposal to include AEAD OCB mode to 4880bis

2017-10-30 13:01:16
On Oct 30, 2017, at 19:29, Rick van Rein <rick(_at_)openfortress(_dot_)nl>
wrote:

Hi Derek,

I have files encrypted 20+ years ago (to a 20+ year old key) sitting
around in storage.  Are you saying that those encrypted files should not
be readable anymore?

So when do we stop supporting an algorithm? When it can be brute forces in a
month? A year ? A day?

One might question if current-day crypto software should continue to
support old encrypted files though, or that a fork would be wiser.

Like pgp 2.6 and pgp 5. Yes.

A way to also stimulate upgrading could be to demote algorithms to
decrypt/verify only and not allow them for creating new encrypted/signed
material.

As for we have been doing this for  20 years argument, I am still carrying
idea.c and still have to manually compile it every time gpg upgrades. So the
“current” scheme has proven to not work well at all for me.

Paul