Re: [openpgp] OpenPGP Web Key Directory I-D

2018-11-09 04:50:50
Werner Koch writes ("Re: OpenPGP Web Key Directory I-D"):
On Wed,  7 Nov 2018 20:49,
ijackson(_at_)chiark(_dot_)greenend(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk said:
Suggested modification: Replace this part of the URL with the
URL-encoded email address.

Nope: That breaks existing implementations and would not allow to serve
the data from static files.

It certainly would allow serving the data from static files.  If you
wanted case-insensitivity and can't configure your webserver to smash
the case, then then in practice you could make three files.

Overall, I described this protocol to Simon Tatham (author of PuTTY)
in the pub last night and he spluttered into his cider and said "is it
April the 1st in a different timezone?"

III. Normative status of this document

|   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
|   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
|   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
|   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

OTOH, it is a standard practise that RFCs are based on existing
implementations and we have that implemented in in GnUPG 2.1.12 (May
2016) and thus for example also in Debian Stretch

I don't think most of the Debian folks realise they are participating
in a protocol design experiment.

Since you are still in the protocol design phase, you would no doubt
welcome implementation and deployment of an alternative simpler
protocol ?

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson(_at_)chiark(_dot_)greenend(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>   These
opinions are my own.