Re: [openpgp] OpenPGP Web Key Directory I-D

2018-11-09 05:37:30
On 09.11.2018 12:17, Werner Koch wrote:
The only simpler thing which could have been done would be to skip the
hashing and directly use the z-base-32 encoding.  The only drawback
would have been that very long addresses won't work on all file systems.

There is also base64*url* variant that is "URL-safe":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64#URL_applications

It's widely used in several "Web" technologies (e.g. JSON Web Tokens RFC
7519).

Nope.  It is in use for more than 2 years.

I agree. "?l=" solves most practical problems with WKD for
service-providers in a backwards-compatible way and there is a lot of
software using WKD (GnuPG, Enigmail, OpenKeychain, Openpgpjs, Mailpile...).

If I'd be designing such a protocol now I'd probably overlay it on top
of WebFinger (RFC 7033) but currently the benefits would not
counter-balance added work for everyone involved.

Kind regards,
Wiktor

--
https://metacode.biz/@wiktor