Re: [openpgp] User ID Attribute Subpacket

2019-03-04 04:38:30
Sorry, this makes no sense at all.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 5:08 PM Derek Atkins <derek(_at_)ihtfp(_dot_)com> wrote:
2) The reason for the User ID Attribute subpacket was that we wanted to
   have multiple Attribute subpackets included in the certificate in a
   primary signature, but this was not possible with 4880.  My memory is

User Attribute subpackets are not in the signature, but in the User Attribute
packet.

Your other additions, specifying notation data with keys like "charset" are
Signature subpackets, and *are* part of signatures.

The only thing that having UserID subpackets for the User Attribute packet
is that you can have multiple userids bound by one binding signature.  But
that is a feature that I dislike, because then we can no longer strip down
TPKs so that they only include a subset of the userids, which can enhance
the privacy of our users.  This is important for pEp, Autocrypt, and Hagrid.

   hazy on what the exact issue was, but IIRC you could EITHER have a
   UserID packet OR a set of Attribute packets, but not both.  Because I
   wanted both a UserID *AND* additional attributes in a single
   signature, this seemed the best way to do it.

Given that you, the person who requested this addition, can no longer make
a solid case for it, I request for the UserID subpacket to be removed.