Re: [openpgp] Request on Adding ChaCha20-Poly1305 to the OpenPGP Standardization

2020-04-15 18:04:12
On Apr 15, 2020, at 18:21, Bart Butler
<bartbutler=40protonmail(_dot_)com(_at_)dmarc(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org> wrote:

What this means is that we'd never be able to "drop" AES--the best we could
do is add ChaCha and wait for the major implementations to add it. This would
in turn delay the cryptographic refresh of OpenPGP by even more, introduce
more opportunities for incompatibilities between implementations, and
increase the algorithm bloat of OpenPGP for a minor speed and security
benefit, and, because OpenPGP messages last forever, it would obligate that
support to continue for the next several decades. It does not seem worth it
to me, at least at this time.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Paul