Re: [openpgp] Request on Adding ChaCha20-Poly1305 to the OpenPGP Standardization

2020-04-16 10:19:27
Given that you quoted Jason Donenfeld quite a bit I propose that you
actually ask him for his design criteria.

Because what you seem to propose is adding more and more variations to
OpenPGP. I discussed this with Jason before and he's a strong advocate
of less choices and strongly against algorithm agility. And I agree.

FWIW I believe the pros and cons of the different AEAD ciphers are of
very minor relevance, yet the algorithm zoo is a big downside. From what
I know openpgp has still not published a standardized AEAD. My proposal
would be to choose one and only one AEAD and declare all other
algorithms as deprecated. And which one almost doesn't matter. And I'm
pretty sure Jason would agree with me on that, but feel free to ask him.

--
Hanno Böck
https://hboeck.de/