Re: [openpgp] Request on Adding ChaCha20-Poly1305 to the OpenPGP Standardization

2020-04-16 00:10:33
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 17:53, Tanveer.Salim said:

issues with adding ChaCha20-Poly1305. Political in the sense that many
implementations will be offended if the switch was made from AES to
ChaCha20-Poly1305. I am not saying we should necessarily switch the

Well, that was not exactly my point.  With political I meant that we had
to add a couple of algorithms to please some countries or make it
possible for them to use OpenPGP.  That is for example the case for
Camellia, the Brainpool and NIST curves.

According to the Autocrypt website, it would be great if Argon2 and
SCrypt key derivation functions to OpenPGP as well. But Autocrypt

Well, we are doing public key crypto and thus passwords are not of
primary interest.  If OpenPGP is used with symmetric-only encryption I
expect that a full-entropy key is used and thus the KDF is not used for
security reasons.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner