Re: [openpgp] [internet-drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc4880b

2020-09-03 05:09:36

Hi Ronald,

For the record, there was never a consensus that Werner was “active
contested” as editor of 4880bis.

Acknowledged. Of course, it is the nature of contested things that there is no
consensus. That's why they are contested. ;)

The contesting came from a relatively small group of contributors.

I suspect it feels like that from both sides. I had talked to several folks in
person and online, and sent a draft for comments to at least six active openpgp
community members. My impression was (is) that the group is not "relatively
small", otherwise I wouldn't have sent the message.  However I have no numbers
on this, and the set of people I talked to is certainly biased, so it's entirely
possible that I'm wrong.

I will admit that the resonance on-list (I received a couple of supportive mails
off-list) was rather more lukewarm than I had hoped, which is why I didn't push
further. I only chimed in here because the topic of list consensus was brought
up, I'll try and drop it again.

Not that I count for much

Of course you count :) By the way, congratulations on Thunderbird's decision to
use RNP as an OpenPGP library. I'm glad they did.

 - V