Re: [openpgp] [internet-drafts(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] New Version Notification for draft-ietf-openpgp-rfc4880bis-10.txt

2020-09-15 03:33:42
"Neal H. Walfield" <neal(_at_)walfield(_dot_)org> writes:

  30d8397 Introduce the Key Block subpacket to align OpenPGP with CMS.

I think the idea is okay, but the execution (what should and should
not be included) could use some work.

Even though I initially proposed it, I now have my doubts about the
design and would have appreciated a discussion on this list first.

The problem I see is that the size of a subpacket area is limited to
1<<16 bytes.  This severely limits the number of certificates that can
be communicated with this mechanism.

For example, the Bob sample key (D1A6 6E1A 23B1 82C9 980F 788C FBFC C82A
015E 7330) measures 1741 bytes, meaning we could fit 37 of those into a
subpacket area.  On the other hand, my cert weighs in at 9148 bytes,
bringing this number down to 7.

Now, these are both certificates with RSA keys and signatures, and the
numbers are way better with ECC.  But, we don't know how large PQ keys
and signatures will be.  Notably, if the cryptographic community settles
on McEliece, we will not be able to fit a single key, let alone a
certificate, into a subpacket area.

So, the design has severe limits given current certificates, and may
become completely unusable in the near future.  Therefore, I believe we
should find a better solution.

Justus