Re: [openpgp] Combining signature with signer's public key

2020-12-11 02:54:58
Hi Holger,

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 09:31:14 +0100,
holger krekel wrote:
the reason several e-mail app implementors decided for a header
in the discussions leading up to the Autocrypt spec in 2017
was precisely to not confuse users with weird attachments. related FAQ:
https://autocrypt.org/faq.html#why-are-you-using-headers-rather-than-attached-keys

What do you find problematic about it?  It's been used in several mail
apps (including Thunderbird/Enigmail up until TB78 in August 2020) and
did not cause any UX issues or complaints. I'd kindly ask you to consider
not inventing another method now without strong reason.

Thanks for brining this up.  My response was too narrow, and your
recommendation is better.  In particular, it has the nice advantage
that it is possible to attach the sender's certificate (and some other
meta-data) even if the message is not signed.

Neal