Re: [openpgp] whitespace definitions in OpenPGP

2021-02-17 07:19:19
Hi vedaal--

On Tue 2021-02-16 14:29:19 -0500, vedaal(_at_)nym(_dot_)hush(_dot_)com wrote:
On 2/16/2021 at 12:08 PM, "Daniel Kahn Gillmor"  wrote:
Proposals for additional cases to test would also be useful.

=====
PDF renders an empty line as whitespace, even if there is a line
return.

This functionally means that the empty line after the PGP header and
the Cyphertext
will be interpreted as being omitted, even if copied from the PDF.

I don't know what PDF you're talking about.  Are you referring to a
specific example PDF?  to a (common?) form of translation between ASCII
text streams and PDFs?  to something else?

If it is possible, I would suggest that both cases be accepted,
i.e.  with a LR/empty line after the header and the cyphertext,
and if no such empty line exists.

The goal of the whitespace canonicalization as i understand it is
*exactly* this -- that regardless of how the unprintable characters show
up (or don't), a valid signature will be seen as valid.

However, the thing that is validated is the canonicalized version, not
any of the potential whitespace variants.

      --dkg