Re: [openpgp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh-02.txt (fwd)

2021-02-23 07:16:21
Hi,

Current text says:

   Implementations SHOULD generate V4 signatures.  Implementations MUST
   NOT create version 3 signatures; they MAY accept version 3
   signatures.

There is no MUST create version.  Is this intended to change?

Later (5.8):

   This packet is obsolete.  An implementation MUST NOT create this
   packet.  An implementation MAY process such a packet but it MUST
   return a clear diagnostic that a non-integrity protected packet has
   been processed.  The implementation SHOULD also return an error in
   this case and stop processing.

I'm confused by this text.  If an implementation chooses to process this
packet type (e.g. I have 20-year-old PGP-encrypted messages that I'd still
like to be able to read without re-encrypting them), why are you saying
that it should return an error and stop processing?  So it MAY process but
SHOULD stop processing?  I'm confused.

Those were the only issues I noticed reading through this version.

Thank you for your hard work!

-derek